Check out this mouth-watering recipe for Strawberry and Cheese Refrigerator Pie from our friends at the American Institute for Cancer Research (AICR). This pie is simple to make and full of cancer-fighting strawberries. It is sure to be a hit at your 4th of July party…you could even add blue berries (also a cancer-fighter) for some red, white and blue flair! Check out this recipe and more on our Pinterest page and get your plate in cancer-fighting shape!
- 1 (9-inch) prepared graham cracker piecrust, preferably whole-wheat
- 4 oz. reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 Tbsp. extra-fine sugar
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 lb. strawberries
- 1/2 cup strawberry fruit spread
- 1 tsp. lemon juice, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place crust on baking sheet and bake for 8 minutes, or until golden and fragrant. Transfer to wire rack and cool completely. This can be done 8 hours ahead.
- Place cream cheese, sour cream, sugar, lemon zest and vanilla in small bowl. Blend until combined and smooth, using hand mixer on medium speed or wooden spoon. Spread cheese mixture evenly over bottom of piecrust. Refrigerate until set, 1 to 2 hours.
- Just before serving, cut off tops of strawberries. Halve largest, prettiest ones and place in bowl. Cut remaining berries lengthwise in quarters and place in another bowl. Melt fruit spread in bowl in microwave, or in small saucepan over medium heat, stirring often. Mix in lemon juice, if using, and divide hot fruit spread between two bowls of berries. Using fork, toss until fruit is coated and glistening.
- Spoon quartered fruit into the center of pie over cheese, turning most pieces cut side down as you spread them out. Arrange larger halves in circle around edge of pie, with flat side facing rim of crust and points toward the center of the pie. Spoon on any fruit spread remaining in bowls to fill in open spaces. Serve pie within 1 hour.
Recipe Courtesy of the American Institute for Cancer Research (AICR).